A PHDA no adulto: uma perturbação do neurodesenvolvimento?

PHDA in adults is required by DSM-5 to have begun before age 12. However, in the Dunedin representative birth cohort of 1,037 individuals followed to age 38, 31 (3%) met DSM-5 criteria for PHDA, but only 10% had it as children, according to information provided by their parents and teachers. The remaining 90% appeared to have developed ADHD as adults. These surprising results confirmed our own data from the New York Longitudinal study, in which we found that 29% of adults were diagnosed with ADHD by blind psychologists, even though they had been recruited as non-hyperactive adolescents at age 18. The reason we cannot simply dismiss these two results, is that a study in the non-human primate shows that prefrontal neurons begin to show substantial degradation in performance by early middle adulthood, and that this can be reversed with medications. This provocative idea will be presented, as it could lead to clinical trials of age-related, yet reversible aspects of cognitive decline.

Simpósio PHDA

Há 7 anos a criar uma verdadeira comunidade de PHDA em Portugal debatendo as suas questões.

Contactos

geral(@)simposio-phda.pt
+351 963 010 262
Hospital Pediátrico de Coimbra

7º Simpósio PHDA em:

BID lab

BID lab

Contactos

  • +351 915 078 881
  • +351 963 010 262
  • geral@bid-lab.com
  • © 2016 Simpósio PHDA. All Rights Reserved. Designed By BID-lab